Made with Moxie: Pirate Ship Birthday Cake Pictorial Tutorial

September 10, 2012

Pirate Ship Birthday Cake Pictorial Tutorial

This past week we celebrated Jimmy Quinn's first birthday with friends and family. I had planned on making pirate cupcakes. My husband was disappointed with my choice given birthday cakes I have made in the past; full size dragons, moons, owls, lego man. I even melted a Buzz Lightyear onto a rainbow cake one year. (Unintentionally) My husband suggested a pirate ship cake would be more worthy a first birthday celebration.

What you need:
Three 9'" x 13" cakes
3/4 pound of butter made into frosting (three sticks)
Chocolate covered sugar wafer cookies
Gold coins, gold nuggets, Rolos and gummy sharks
Computer paper (tear the edges, dip your hands in coffee and wipe on paper for sails)
Three sets of chopsticks

Here she is!