Made with Moxie: Ask Me Anything: My New Boobs (NSFW-ish)

January 8, 2013

Ask Me Anything: My New Boobs (NSFW-ish)

Before my surgery my bra size was a 36 I. Or at least that is what I wore. They don't make cup sizes much larger than that with a 36 inch rib cage. Well, they do, but nothing short of a titanium would offer much support. I love a bra that makes my boobs look like the Merrimac vs the Monitor. They were not pretty boobs. I mean, they were boobs. And men like boobs. But at some point when they say your nipple should line up with the center of your upper arm and my nipple lines up with the center of my forearm, enough is enough. That isn't sexy.
(This picture is before kids.)

After two pregnancies and breast feeding for two years, I felt like a war zone. I have lost 50 pounds since my son was born. (Fine. He was 10 pounds and 5 ounces of it.) The weight loss and stopping breast feeding did little to reduce my size. So I had them cut off.

I told you to Ask Me Anything. This is what you asked.

Why December 24th? Was it a Christmas present?
Nope. My surgeon is Jewish and I figured it gave me the most amount of time to get ready for Christmas, then the perfect week to spend laying around in my jammies letting the kids make a mess.

Did your insurance cover it?
Yes. My surgeon submitted that he would remove 500 grams (1.1 pounds) removed from each breast. Initially insurance denied the claim, but we appealed and they okay-ed it.

How much did they remove?
It is tough to determine just how much tissue will be removed exactly before surgery. I told my surgeon I wanted proportionate boobs that were awesome and perfect. (Hey, he's the top boob surgeon in Washington, DC. I expect perfection.) In the end, 1250 grams were removed from my left breast and 1275 from my right. Yeah. 2,525 grams. 5.6 pounds. With boob to spare!

So was it worth it? The pain, cost,recovery?? The scar?
Yes. Absolutely. No question. Recovery from a c-section was must worse than this. And I didn't have a newborn to wake me up every two hours. I stopped taking the narcotics they prescribed to me after 48 hours. All I needed was Tylenol. The worst pain was under my arms where he did liposuction to remove 'migrated tissue'. That felt like horrible bruising. Like someone stuck a straw under your skin and raked stuff out.
This is today. Two weeks post-op.

The scaring should be very minor. Heck, there are already barely noticeable parts of the incision at only 14 days post op. I would highly recommend finding the best surgeon for what you want done. I went to my surgeon because he was highly spoke of by other medical professionals. He is the top breast surgeon in the Washington DC area. They call him the boob man. I can sew well, but this man can sew amazingly well. Breast reconstruction is sculpting. Don't settle for anything but the best.

I would do it all again in a heart beat. I'm a 36C. I haven't been a C since high school. I *love* my new boobs

I am thinking about a tummy tuck since my stomach has looked like Freddy Kreuger face for almost 20 years. I would def trade my fat/flap for a scar.
I'm thinking of one too! I have horribly in-elastic skin. When I reach my goal weight, if my stomach skin is still a flap, and who am I kidding, *when* my skin is still a flap, I will pay to have a tuck. As I understand it, it is a more difficult one to recover from because they sew muscle too. But after two c-sections, I think I can handle it. Insurance will not cover that, but I am willing to pay for it because I will not lose all this weight to spend the rest of my life tucking a flap of skin into my jeans.

Should I wait until after I have finished having babies?
Most surgeons will tell you yes. I waited until I was finished. I have a friend who had her breasts reduced, then had a baby and her boobs look fine. (This is from what I can see with clothes on.) You will likely have difficulty breast feeding after surgery. With all the hormone swings and weight fluctuation that come with pregnancy, I would just wait. I considered it my reward for having and feeding my babies.

Do you still feel feminine with smaller breasts?
Hell yes. More so. Before I felt like a young women with fat old grandmother boobs. I feel like me now. At first I was worried they were too small. The same way you panic when you go to the hairdresser fed up and tell them to cut it all off. Then you realize how awesome it all is. I went shopping and bought the cutest, teeny tiny bras. With no wires. I don't need a bra. I can wear halter tops. And tube tops. And strapless dresses (without titanium structural supports.) I can shop for a bathing suit and not have to look at the old lady ones. I get to dress my age.

I have a friend with very large breasts, too large for her frame and height, that are already causing strain on her back. She would love a reduction but her husband does not support her desire because he likes them 'big'. What would be your advice to her in that situation?
I'd tell *him* to have the boobs. No really. If my husband was not supportive, I'd go out and buy 5 pounds of flour. No, I'd make 5 pounds of jello. Then I'd fill two balloons with it. I'd send him shopping to find a bra that they fit in and looked cute and didn't hurt. Then I'd send him shopping for a shirt that fit right. Then I'd make him wear that awful bra and shirt and five pounds of unattractive jiggle crap on his chest and ask him how he liked it.

I'd tell him this: Women who love their boobs are more likely to show them off. They're more likely to want to take their shirts off and let you play with them. They're more likely to wear tube tops, and little bathing suits and let you go shopping for them at Victoria Secrets. So let her get boobs she loves.

If you think of any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Either comment here or shoot my an email at thatmoxiegirl [at] gmail [dot] com.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have three new patterns for cute tops and dresses I am anxious to get working on!